Sunday, August 9, 2009
Single Parenting and Potty Training
Joel has been gone for four days and I have done fairly well...Soy might tell you different but he has a very short term memory. We had fun at the pool, went shopping, did some crafts, and cleaned up a lot of pooh! The worst yet I have seen happened today while I thought Soy was sleeping. I went in to check on him because I knew he was napping or getting into trouble because it was too quiet and when I opened the door I saw pooh splotches in multiple locations! More than 8 spots! But to his credit he didn't have any other accidents today. I don't think he has pooped in the potty for over two weeks.....I think I may have scared him off. I hope not for good! I can't clean up his poop forever. Oh Potty Training. I think I will go on a two week cruise next time with my mom and sister while Joel starts to train London. I am really trying to just be laid back and not overreact when he has an accident but being the drama queen that I am it's harder than it sounds. It has been nice being able to do whatever I want at nights while Joel is gone -- like reading, sewing, eating chocolate and taking bubble baths---but I miss him--his corny jokes and obsession with comingsoon.net. And I miss his help with the kids...it really makes a difference when he is here in the mornings and on the weekends. I don't know how single parents do it but kudos to them! You do watcha gotta do. Soy has been saying "Thanks Ma" after everything I do for him. And London is getting so excited about her newly discovered ability to sqeal and make all sorts of sounds. She is crawling around so good and pulling herself up to standing. She is a momma's girl--which I love! I remember my mom getting frustrated with us saying "mom" all the time and she would say something like "stop saying mom!"-- it's hard for me to imagine my kids being that annoying right now because I love it when they say "Ma"or " Mama" But I'm sure the time will come when I will be thinking the same thing my mom was.....I will just enjoy this while it lasts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey Val! I know what you mean about single parenting. We just got settled in here in West Virginia and Jared started his medical school orientation this morning. All the girls in the ward say that the wives of dental students rarely see their husbands and that the wives of med students are like single parents. It makes me nervous! But I'm sure we'll get by. I'll just be that much stronger, right??
Good luck with the potty training!
Hey I got your comment awhile ago... and we do love Boston! Summer sells is hard work but we are so happy that we came. Most the time it has been fine but there are some days that Carter is gone so much and it is really hard (I know exactly what you feel, it makes a huge difference when kids have a dad around), but all the girls out here are such a huge support. I was going to potty train Dylan while we were here, but it hasn't happened yet. Since January he will take himself to the bathroom occasionally, and if I put him on the toilet he would go, but with the baby coming in Feb. and moving in Apr. I decided to hold off until we were here. Once here, would still take himself occasionally so I started it and it lasted for 3 days. He was scared to poop in the toilet and held it in for 2 days. Then he started fighting me and crying for a diaper and wouldn't even put on underwear. So I gave up and decided not to push it for a bunch of reasons: he just turned 2, I had no help most the time, was nursing Savannah all the time then, and the biggest reason was that in Boston if we go anywhere in the city it's on the subway and there is no easy bathroom access anywhere (how do you tell a 2 year old to hold it for 2 hours), then we are going to New York for a week, then flying home. So that's it, I didn't make it first time around, but I have to do it soon (will there ever be a good time?), hopefully as soon as we are back home. You are doing awesome, keep going! I have to go spend another $40 on diapers tomorrow. If you ever need a boost just remember all the money you are not spending on diapers. Well, hopefully this is the last box I buy for him! Good luck, and keep in touch!
Jen
I don't know how you do it! I waited quite a while to potty train Lexi, but she never had a poop accident. Maybe Heavenly Father knew I wasn't patient enough to handle it! Hang in there. You are so good at enjoying the little moments with your kids.
Post a Comment